Temple’s Municipal Energy Efficiency Retrofit & Energy Reduction Program
Like Sharon, Temple was originally known as Peterborough Slip when first granted in 1750. It was incorporated in 1768 in honor of John Temple, lieutenant governor under John Wentworth. Temple was son-in-law to James Bowdoin, for whom Bowdoin College is named.
Home to the Temple Glass Works, founded in 1780, the short life of the business makes Temple glass rare and sought after today. In addition to the historic fame is the Temple Town Band, which is the oldest organized town band in the United States. It’s first recorded performance was in 1800 for George Washington.
- Population, Year of the First Census Taken: 747 residents in 1790
- County: Hillsborough Population:1,456
- Registered Voters: 908
- Highest Point: 2198 ft. (subpeak near summit of Pack Monadnock)
- Lowest Point: 800 ft. (SE corner of Township)
Click here for more information ( PDF download ): Sustainable Temple