- Conventional natural gas is still a fossil fuel with significant carbon emissions that need to be contained. However, there is renewable natural gas, which can be blended into the natural gas supply. There is a wide variety of technologies and feedstocks that can be used to produce renewable natural gas at competitive costs. [Breaking Energy]
- At the UN climate talks, Friends of the Earth International activists urged the participating nations to start building clean, sustainable, community-based energy solutions. The benefits of community-owned renewable energy solutions include reduced CO2 emissions, reduced consumption, stronger communities, and jobs. [eNews Park Forest]
- On Friday the Finnish parliament voted for a nuclear power project with 115 in favour, compared to 74 against. The location for the plant is in Pyhäjoki, just 150 kilometres from Swedish municipalities such as Luleå, Piteå and Skellefteå. A group of Swedish anti-nuclear activists has told The Local they will continue to fight against it. [The Local.se]
- Volvo Trucks North America’s New River Valley assembly plant in Dublin, Va., is now carbon neutral thanks to a switch to renewable fuels to produce power. The assembly plant uses landfill gas to generate electric power and replaces fossil fuels that produced over 40,000 tons of carbon dioxide last year. [Truckinginfo]
- Elon Musk’s so-called gigafactory may soon become an existential threat to the 100-year-old utility business model. The facility will also churn out stationary battery packs that can be paired with rooftop solar panels to store power. Already, a second company led by Musk, SolarCity Corp, is packaging solar panels and batteries. [Businessweek]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.