- “Scott Pruitt’s Misleading Senate Testimony: Will ‘Alternative Science’ Replace Real Science at EPA?” • Scott Pruitt, President Trump’s pick to head the US Environmental Protection Agency, is misrepresenting the scientific data clearly showing that the earth’s atmosphere is warming. He said he believes that global warming is in a “hiatus.” [Energy Collective]
- Friday’s temperatures very near the North Pole are about 50° F warmer than normal, according to a temperature analysis by NOAA. The warmth is being funneled toward the North Pole as winds converged winds between a monster storm in the North Atlantic and a giant area of high pressure over northern Europe. [Washington Post]
- Europe’s top utilities are planning to invest tens of billions of euros over the next three years to catch up with the green energy revolution. The rise of solar and wind power has increased the need for intelligent IT systems that can balance out demand and supply swings while meeting energy needs and carbon emissions targets. [Gulf Times]
- Fixing leaks from natural gas lines, capping power-plant emissions, and providing incentives for switching to electric vehicles are among new aims for reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Massachusetts. New regulations target especially the energy and transportation sectors to reduce emissions by 7.2% over the next three years. [Eagle-Tribune]
- Recently, one of the largest construction cranes on the planet gently hoisted a 750-ton steam generator into place for a new reactor at the VC Summer Nuclear Station. The heavy lifting isn’t over. It could be just beginning for the $14 billion project, with unanswered questions about Westinghouse, the reactor designer. [Charleston Post Courier]
For more news, please visit geoharvey – Daily News about Energy and Climate Change.