Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Compost Operator Certification Course
Thursday, September 19, 2013, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. $25 Preregistration required.
Do you operate a compost facility or are planning on working at one in the future? The day-long Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Compost Operator Certification Course is a required Certificate Course for current or future compost site operators who must obtain solid waste approval for handling food scraps or animal mortalities.
Focus: operator competency in compost management and regulatory compliance, and includes a dynamic combination of lectures, demonstrations and hands-on exercises designed to ensure an effective combination of operator understanding and application.
- Principles of composting
- Compost recipe development
- Materials & blending
- Windrow construction
- Pile monitoring and management
- Windrow aeration
- Aerated static pile composting
- Mortality composting
- Neighbor relations
- Site and operating permit requirements
- Testing and reporting requirements
Saturday, September, 21st 2013, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Free. Preregistration required.
Are you looking to take your composting skills to the next level? Do you want to stop relying on outside sources of fertility for your farm, community garden or homestead? Interested in spearheading a food systems paradigm shift in your community from the ground up?
- Practical implementation of small/community scale compost systems
- Innovative compost system designs, tools, and management practices
- How to collect food scraps from local businesses and neighbors
- Integrating chickens into your compost systems
- Capturing heat from your compost pile
Who: Current or future community and small scale food scrap recyclers, including schools, farms, collection services, and extreme home composters.